Homeowners in Wilmington often ignore the initial signs of roofing damage. The structural integrity of your house is dependent on many factors, including the roofing. Even minor issues can end up causing serious damage, which may need thousands of dollars in repairs. If your house is over two decades old, it is already time to think of a roofing replacement. In this post, we are sharing all you must know before hiring a Wilmington, MA roofing contractor.
Signs that you need roofing repairs/replacement
- You have found curled or damaged shingles
- There are visible signs of water leaks
- There is an unexpected increase in utility bills
- Your home is more than 20 years old
- You are facing ventilation issues
- There are big tree branches on the roof
- There are moss spores on the roof
- You have a gutter or waterlogging problems
Finding roofing contractors
If you can talk to people around and get references for roofing contractors they have worked with, that’s always an advantage. Most local companies in Wilmington now have websites, and you can find contact details easily.
Getting an inspection
When you call a roofing contractor, they will send a team of experts, to inspect your home. Based on their findings, they can give an overview of the roofing repairs and costs involved. This is also a good window to know the company better. You can ask questions like –
- Are you an accredited roofing contractor? Can I see your licenses?
- Do you have liability insurance? If yes, to what extent?
- Do you offer a warranty or assurance on workmanship?
- If I replace the roofing, do I qualify for a manufacturer warranty?
- What is your estimate for the project? Can I get a discount?
- Does your quote include the cost of cleanup?
- Are your employees trained and certified?
Ask the company if they adhere to safety practices that are a norm in the industry. Insurance is an imperative factor for selecting a contractor. You need to be 100% sure that the contractor is capable of handling the liability, in case their workers end up causing damage to your property. Don’t be fooled to hire a roofing contractor based on the price alone. Experience, industry credibility, ability to offer a competitive quote, and online reviews are some factors to consider. If the company has promised anything, ensure that you have all things mentioned on paper.
Ensure that you have a clear timeline of the work in advance.